The EASIEST Way to Make Candied Lemon Slices!
In some cases, we've included affiliate links to help support this site. If you click on the link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
You can make these candied lemon slices in less than ten minutes. They can be used as a decorative addition to baked goods like cakes, pies, and cupcakes, or eaten on their own like candy.
- Could there be an even simpler recipe than these three ingredients?
- You can do it in as little as 15 minutes, and the whole thing will take you no more than 30 minutes.
- When used as a garnish, the entire lemon can be eaten, making it a great option for sweets.
I've been looking for simple yet lovely cake and cupcake decorating ideas. I was hoping to find an edible decoration that would help me disguise my lackluster icing skills. Making these candied lemon slices was the easiest part, and they helped me reach my goal.
One package was the finishing touch on my cupcakes. You can't go wrong with these in any citrus-themed sweet dish. I've compiled a list of over 200 delicious treats that you have to try.
This entry was first shared on April 4, 2014. In subsequent revisions, both practical details and visual aids have been added.
To make candied lemon peel, you'll need:
There are only three components required, as I stated above.
- It's possible to use either regular or Meyer lemons. Additional information is provided below.
- Granulated sugar is the best form of sugar.
- Pure, unadulterated H2O
When comparing regular lemons and Meyer lemons,
More than a dozen times, using both regular and Meyer lemons, I have perfected this recipe. Just so you know, BOTH options are viable. But let's discuss the distinction so you can choose the one that's best for your needs.
- Size Difference Between Meyer and Regular Lemons Their yellow hue will be much more vivid and eye-catching. Higher acidity will produce a more robust flavor. These are great in any dish, from savory to sweet, and in particular in cooking (think chicken or salmon) and marinades or vinaigrettes.
- Coloration of Meyer Lemons is deeper and darker than that of regular lemons. They're more rounded and polished than the traditional ovals we're used to seeing. Because of their lower acidity and more fragrant rind, they taste sweeter. When making a sweet treat, I always reach for Meyer lemons. They are better suited for baked goods and sweets due to their increased sweetness.
If you're still on the fence, go with the Meyer. The risk of failure is zero
A Simple Recipe for Candied Lemon Thins
- Do a thorough job of washing your lemons. The thinner the better. You could use a mandolin (affiliate) or other sharp knife. Set aside
- In a medium saucepan (affiliate link), mix the water and sugar together. Heat until boiling and stir in the sugar until it dissolves.
- Lemon slices should be added.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the lemon slices are translucent.
- Take out with a slotted spoon and set on parchment. Leave the lemons out overnight to dry out.
- A low oven temperature could also be used to dry the lemon slices. Turn them over often and remove them from the oven as soon as the center begins to harden.
To Blanch or Not to Blanch Lemon Slices?
If you find that your candy is too bitter, blanching lemon slices is a great option.
There is often a more bitter aftertaste when using regular lemons as opposed to their Meyer counterparts. If you want to avoid this, you can blanch the slices before making the candy. This involves quickly boiling the slices in water and then cooling them in an ice bath. This lessens the bitterness and keeps the bright yellow color that is visually appealing and delicious.
- Fill a bowl with ice and water and call it a medium. Set aside
- Raise the temperature of the water in a medium saucepan until it begins to boil. Turn off the stove and stir in the lemon wedges.
- Submerge the slices for a full minute in the boiling water.
- Take out and submerge in the ice water to stop the cooking process instantly.
- Dry off on a towel after about 30 seconds on the ice.
Especially with Meyer lemons, I don't think this step is necessary, but it is useful if you want a candy that you can just pop into your mouth and munch on.
Advice and Frequently Asked Questions:
This is a simple recipe, but it may seem daunting at first. Remember that candied lemon slices are simple to make and can be used for a variety of purposes, from garnishing cakes to adding a tangy flavor to cocktails. ) Simmer for an additional 10 to 15 minutes if they are not translucent after 30 minutes. I usually wait around an hour, give or take, depending on how thin I slice mine. However, this is unusual if they are sliced consistently thin.
More importantly, any citrus fruit can be used in this recipe. I've used this technique to make candied grapefruit, limes, and oranges. To remove the bitterness from the rind of other fruits, blanch them as directed on the recipe card.
Candied Lemon Slices: What Else Can I Do With Them?
Lemon slices coated in sugar are delicious but unnecessary. So, you can use them as a garnish for your favorite sweets like cakes, cupcakes, bars, etc. They're lovely, and they give your sweets a classy air.
They're delicious on their own or as a sweet addition to a drink or a hot cup of tea.
Possibilities seem to go on forever.
Can I store homemade citrus candy for a long time?
If stored properly, candied lemons have a six-month shelf life. I can't recall ever keeping them for more than a week because my family devours them as soon as they're packaged.
Allow them to dry thoroughly before putting them away. Move to a sealed bag or container for storage in the fridge.
Additional Lemon Recipes:
Even Sweeter Treats:
Being still hungry If you're looking for more delicious inspiration, be sure to follow One Sweet Appetite on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Elevate your living space with captivating functional and aesthetic home decor accents. Unleash the power of these designs to create a truly beautiful and stylish home.
Discover the best Pottery Barn tables that effortlessly enhance your home decor with their timeless design and impeccable craftsmanship, creating a truly elevated and elegant space.
Create a stunning and unique home decor with repurposed blanket ladders. Unleash your creativity and elevate your style with these versatile and charming pieces.
Unlock your cosy stylishness in Lethal Company with this ultimate guide to obtaining the pajama suit. Upgrade your wardrobe and enjoy comfort and fashion combined. Click here to find out more.