Simple Strawberry Cake
The white cake layers in my Easy Strawberry Cake recipe are filled with tangy strawberry jam, frosted with creamy almond buttercream, and adorned with a beautiful berry wreath. It can be kept a secret that we started with a cake mix.
If you know what you're doing, a cake mix with a few tweaks can be a work of art. Good quality mixes, like Duncan Hines, can be made to taste much closer to homemade with just a few tweaks. To bring out the best in this white cake mix, I swapped out the water for buttermilk and added flavor extract. When it comes to homemade cakes, this one is hard to beat if you prefer those with a light and airy texture.
The cake itself can be made quickly, but the extra time spent on a homemade frosting (I never buy store-bought frosting) and adorning the cake with a berry crown is well worth it.
I've been thinking about making this cake for a while now; I just needed to find some good strawberries. Strangely enough, the chamomile flowers came first, and then I set out to find some berries. The tiny flowers are a sure sign that spring has arrived, and if you really want to go all out with the theme, a packet of chamomile tea can be used to flavor your cake. I didn't go quite that far, but I really dig how they turned out; they remind me of strawberry flowers.
Making a fruit and (edible) flower wreath to adorn a simple cake.
When you got married, did you wear a flower crown? I did This is a fantastic, low-skill method of decorating a standard-issue cake.
- Use berries or other small fruit in perfect condition.
- Any kind of berry will do, but I recommend using raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, currants, or wild berries.
- Even though most berries can be used whole, unless they're extremely tiny, strawberries should be cut in half lengthwise before being used.
- Use some greenery, like strawberry tops or fresh mint leaves. creating an effect similar to a wreath If your berries still have their stems, handle them carefully.
- Chamomile blossoms, another edible flower, worked wonderfully as garnishes. If you don't have chamomile flowers, any edible flowers will do.
- You could get the same cute effect with some tiny flowers like dandelions, daisies, white impatiens, pansies, jasmine, mini roses, or honeysuckle blossoms. Strawberries make a white and yellow palette feel even more like spring.
- Line the cake's border with the fruit, starting with the largest pieces and working your way inward to the center. Don't try too hard, just make it look natural.
- Keep it minimal and straightforward.
My mother has always made a plain vanilla buttercream frosting for our family birthday cakes, and I've never seen a reason to deviate from that.
Everything about it is straight out of her recipe file, except that I use cream and she used milk to thin it down. It's easy to make, and the consistency is perfect. It's the type of frosting that sets up a hard shell around its perimeter; cutting into it causes a slight crackling because of this. Extremely sugary (no apologies needed), not overly buttery, and flavored with almond extract, which is one of my favorite flavors, this dessert is a personal favorite.
Naked cake style was the intention for my cake's sides, but I didn't quite get there...still working on it. Regardless of how you frost the sides, this cake is suitable for any special occasion, including Easter and Mother's Day. to a baby- or wedding-shower
Please share photos on Instagram and tag me at @theviewfromgreatisland if you make this cake or try this technique.
Baked strawberry treats are a lovely way to welcome the spring season with friends and family.
An essential piece of kitchenware, the cake stand can be found on any countertop. It screams "welcome home," "take it easy," "love is in the air," and "delicious things await you You can never go wrong with a timeless option like the one up top, but if you're in the mood for something a little more passionate, try this one or this one My preference is for this wooden stand (or this one) if you have a more rural aesthetic. Also, who says a cake stand has to be circular?
Personally, I prefer a cake plate that is 12 inches in diameter. That way, most cakes and bundts can fit inside with plenty of room to spare.
You know you want to, so go ahead and eat a lot of it.
My Easy Strawberry Cake is a basic white layer cake stuffed with bright strawberry jam, frosted with almond buttercream, and adorned with a beautiful wreath of fresh strawberries. The fact that you start with a cake mix is irrelevant.
Servings: 10 servings
- 15 ounce Powdered white or yellow cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup For my cooking, I prefer safflower oil.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp essence of almonds
- Around a cup of strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup At room temperature, that's about as much butter as one stick (eight tablespoons)
- 4 cups Finely sieved powdered sugar
- 1 tsp extract of almonds
- 5 Tbsp the heaviest cream possible, with more added if desired
- approximately 15 medium-sized strawberries , slashed down the middle
- Flowers that can be eaten, if small enough
- The recommended baking temperature for most cake mixes is 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by lightly buttering and flouring them.
- Cake mix, eggs, oil, buttermilk, and extract should all be whisked together until there are no large lumps. Minor bumps are acceptable. Spread out evenly between the two greased and floured cake pans, and bake as directed on the cake mix package. About 23 minutes was the time it took me. The center of the cake should not look wet or wobbly. Wait 15 minutes after baking for cakes to cool before attempting to remove them from pans. Don't frost anything until it's completely cooled down.
- The frosting is made by beating together soft butter, sugar, extract, and cream until it reaches a smooth and spreadable consistency. You can either thin it with more cream or thicken it with sugar.
- After the cake has cooled completely, place one layer on a serving platter with the cut side facing up. Jam should be spread evenly over the top.
- On top of the spread jam, place the second layer. Use a thick layer of frosting on top, and a thin layer to skim coat the sides to create a "naked cake" effect. You could also frost the sides entirely if you prefer.
- Decorate the top of the cake with the berries, arranging them in a wreath shape around the perimeter. Flower petals, if any, should be included. The fruit and flowers should be added right before serving.
- Make a four-layer cake using an additional box of mix for a truly memorable event.
- Cake batter in chocolate flavor Why not
Information about the food's nutritional value is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an approximation only. The data was gathered using various online calculators. The View from Great Island makes some assumptions about the accuracy of the nutritional information it provides.
Your creations are always well received. Be sure to use the hashtag #theviewfromgreatisland when posting to Instagram or Twitter to be considered for a feature.
Looking for some spooky Halloween decorations? Here are a few creepy options to consider.First up is the Disney Haunted Mansion Lantern, perfect for setting the eerie mood. Next, check out the Trick 'r Treat Sam Animatronic, standing at 4.3 feet tall and ready to scare.If you want something a little
It's widely known that photos can be a valuable source of inspiration for design, which is why this article includes affiliate links that can direct you to a specific decor item. By clicking on these links, a portion of the proceeds may be paid to www.decoist.com.The industrial style is undoubtedly a
Looking for the perfect rustic touch to add to your Christmas decor? Our Farmhouse Christmas Collection is just what you need! Our hand-crafted Christmas ornaments embody the charm of a bygone era and will add an exquisite touch to your Christmas tree. Made with natural jute and earthy tones, each
Decorated Life supports its readers through affiliate commissions earned from links on our site. To discover more, check out our disclosure page. By Emily Brookes on July 7, 2021, find out why industrial interior design is a creative and effortlessly cool way of using raw materials such as exposed