Mastering the Art of Hanging Wall Decor: Unleashing the Best Techniques
Discover the secrets to showcasing your favorite artwork and photographs with confidence and style. Have you ever wondered what the best way to hang wall decor is? In this article, we will unravel the mysteries of picture hanging, from choosing the perfect spot to clever tricks for hanging without nails or damaging your walls. Whether you're a seasoned decorator or a beginner looking to add personality to your space, we have you covered. Get ready to transform your walls into a gallery that reflects your unique taste and personality.
Choose What to Hang
If you have a large collection of art, it can be overwhelming to figure out where to place everything. To make it more manageable, Berley Farber, founder of Farber Art Services, a San Francisco-based installation company, suggests sorting your pieces into categories. Start by labeling them as A's, B's, and C's. Your favorite pieces, the A's, will take priority and be given a designated location. The B's will be used to fill in gaps, and the C's may or may not make it onto a wall, depending on how the installation progresses. For gallery walls, Farber recommends organizing the pieces on the floor first and then transferring the arrangement to the wall. It's also beneficial to keep different types of pieces separate, such as art, family photos, and travel memorabilia. Clustering family photos together creates a cohesive look, while interspersing them among paintings and travel souvenirs may not be as visually pleasing. If you're looking to expand your art collection, online vendors like Saatchi Art, Lumas, and Desenio offer a wide selection. When hanging art above furniture, choose a smaller artwork and leave a gap of about four to six inches for optimal aesthetic appeal.
Decide Which Walls to Use
Not every wall needs to be covered with art. Erica Samuels, principal of Samuels Creative & Co., an art advisory firm in New York, suggests identifying the key walls in the rooms you use the most, such as the foyer, living room, and primary bedroom. These walls should be prioritized for hanging favorite artworks. On the other hand, walls that are long, cold expanses of barren drywall are ideal for displaying artwork and adding visual interest. Consider the scale of each piece when choosing which rooms to hang them in. Oversized paintings can overpower small rooms, so it's important to find a space that allows the artwork to breathe. Additionally, consider the impact of sunlight on the artwork. For preservation purposes, it's best to mount valuable pieces away from windows that receive a lot of direct sunlight.
How High Should I Hang A Picture?
The common rule is to hang a picture at 57" from the center. This height is determined based on the average person's eye-level and is widely used by galleries and museums. To achieve this height, measure 57" from the floor and mark it with a pencil. Next, measure the height of the picture and divide it by two. Measure the distance between the wire, sawtooth, or double hooks on the back of the picture when it's held taut, and add that measurement to the 57" mark on the wall. When hung, the center of the picture should be exactly 57" from the floor. However, this rule may need to be adjusted based on the height of your ceilings. For ceilings higher than 8 ft, art should be hung 60" from the floor for 9 ft ceilings, and 62" from the floor for 10 ft ceilings.
What If I Have High Ceilings?
If your ceilings are higher than 8 ft, the 57" from the center rule should be adjusted. For 9 ft ceilings, art should be hung at 60" from the floor, and for 10 ft ceilings, art should be hung at 62" from the center. Keep in mind that these measurements may need to be fine-tuned based on the specific dimensions and aesthetic preferences of the space.
Place Individual Works
In general, art should hang at the eye level of an average-height person, with the center of the work positioned approximately 60 inches off the floor. However, there is no strict rule when it comes to hanging art in homes, as there are various factors to consider, such as fireplace mantels, moldings, window treatments, and furnishings. These elements can influence the height at which the art is hung. To determine the ideal height, it can be helpful to have someone hold the artwork up while you take a step back and make adjustments. When hanging art above furniture, leave a gap of four to six inches between the top of the furniture and the bottom of the artwork for optimal visual balance. For a more casual look, you can simply set the art on top of a console and lean it against the wall. Additionally, it's recommended to choose an artwork that is narrower than the furniture below it, with a general rule of thumb being that the artwork should be around 75% of the width of the furniture.
Or Hang Multiple Pieces Together
When hanging multiple artworks together in a row, grid, or gallery wall arrangement, the spacing between the pieces is crucial. It is recommended to arrange the art on the floor first, below the intended wall, and create a pleasing composition before transferring it to the wall. The ideal spacing between frames typically ranges from one and a half to three inches, depending on the number of pieces and the size of the wall. In hallways, vertical distances should become shorter and horizontal distances should become wider to accentuate the length of the corridor. If the pieces are different shapes and sizes, there will naturally be larger and smaller gaps. One technique for hanging works of different sizes together is to align the tops of the frames at 59 inches from the floor for one row, and align the bottoms of the frames at 61 inches from the floor for an additional row. This creates a clean, two-inch line of empty wall space between the rows, providing a cohesive yet visually interesting look. It is generally recommended to hang art directly from two D-rings mounted to the back of the frame, whenever possible, and to avoid using picture wires.
How To Easily Hang A Picture With 2 Hooks
To hang a picture with two hooks, you can use the following method:
1. Flip the hooks up and ensure they are mounted at the same height for a level appearance.
2. Cut a piece of painter's tape to the width of the frame and stick it to the flipped-up hooks.
3. Mark the top center of both hooks on the painter's tape using a pencil.
4. Remove the painter's tape and stick it to the wall or your level.
5. Adjust the tape to ensure the holes are level.
6. Use a stud finder to determine if nails or drywall anchors and screws are needed.
7. Mark the holes with a nail or screw, and remove the tape.
8. Install the nails or anchors and screws.
9. Hang your art securely.
How To Hang A Heavy Picture On Drywall
Most art on drywall is hung using wall anchors, especially if there are no studs available for support. To hang a heavy picture on drywall, follow these steps:
1. Use a drill to create a pilot hole in the wall for the wall anchor.
2. Insert the wall anchor into the pilot hole and tap it into place.
3. Insert a screw into the wall anchor and tighten it with a screwdriver.
4. As the screw tightens, the wall anchor expands and creates a secure point to hang your picture.
5. Use a heavy-duty wall anchor, such as the WallClaw Anchor, for pictures weighing up to 90-125 lbs, depending on the depth of the wallboard.
Hanging Pictures Without Damaging Wallpaper
When hanging pictures on wallpaper, it's important to avoid using adhesive strips or hooks, as they can damage the wallpaper when removed. To hang a picture on wallpaper without causing damage, follow these steps:
1. Take a pencil and lightly mark the desired hanging spot on the wallpaper. Alternatively, you can use chalk to avoid marking the wallpaper directly.
2. Use a box cutter with a sharp blade to cut a small "X" in the wallpaper at the marked spot. The "X" should be slightly larger in diameter than the wall anchor or screw head.
3. Carefully peel back the wallpaper to reveal a square-shaped area on the wall.
4. Use the marked spot to install the wall anchor, screw, or nail without damaging the wallpaper.
5. When moving the picture, simply remove the screw and carefully glue the wallpaper back into place, disguising any incisions made.
Hanging Art Without Nails - Perfect Solution For Renters
For renters or anyone who wants to avoid using nails, Command Strips offer a reliable alternative. To hang a picture without nails, follow these steps:
1. Clean the surface with rubbing alcohol to remove grime and dust, ensuring better adhesion of the Command Strips.
2. Wait 7-10 days before using Command Strips on newly painted walls to allow the paint to cure.
3. Apply Command Strips to smooth surfaces like painted walls, finished wood, painted concrete, laminate, glass, metal, and tiles.
4. Avoid using Command Strips on wallpaper, textured walls, or plaster.
5. When removing the Command Strips, pull them straight down to avoid damaging the wall.
6. Experiment with different Command Strips options, such as the large canvas hanger, sawtooth picture hangers, or universal frame hangers, depending on the type of artwork you are hanging. It's important to select the appropriate Command Strips based on the weight and size of the artwork.
What Is The Fork Trick?
The fork trick is a simple hack for hanging pictures with wire on a nail. To use the fork trick, follow these steps:
1. Hold a fork against the wall with the tines facing down and the backside of the fork against the wall.
2. Slide the fork until the tines rest on the nail, making sure the wire of the picture frame is positioned over the handle of the fork.
3. Carefully remove the fork, leaving the wire of the picture frame resting on the nail.
Use Wrapping Paper To Hang A Gallery Wall
When creating a gallery wall without the aid of a kit, old wrapping paper can be used as a helpful guide. Follow these steps:
1. Cut the wrapping paper to the size of each frame.
2. Tape the paper to the wall using painter's tape.
3. Move the paper around until you have the perfect layout.
4. After marking the hooks of the picture frames on the wrapping paper, transfer the tape to the wall in the same spot as the hook(s).
5. Ensure the tape is leveled if hanging a double hook frame.
6. Mark the holes with a nail to create slight indentations in the wall.
7. Drill the holes and hang your art according to the marked locations.
In conclusion, when it comes to hanging wall decor, there are numerous options and techniques to consider. From choosing what to hang and deciding which walls to use, to determining the height and placement of each piece, it's important to take your time and experiment with different arrangements. If you're looking to hang multiple pieces together, consider creating a gallery wall using wrapping paper as a guide. And for those concerned about damaging wallpaper or living in a rental, fear not - there are clever solutions such as the fork trick or using alternative methods like hooks and adhesive strips. So grab your favorite art pieces and get ready to transform your walls into a stunning visual display that reflects your personal style!
Discover the ultimate guide to finding the perfect Amazon room decor for any style and budget. From chic and trendy to timeless classics, explore a wide selection of top-rated items that will transform your space into a haven. Unlock endless inspiration, expert tips, and unbeatable deals in this comprehensive must-read article. Start revamping your home today!
Discover the top wholesale home decor vendors offering an unbeatable selection and quality. Shop now and transform your living space with a wide range of stylish and affordable options. Find the perfect pieces to enhance your home and create a cozy and inviting atmosphere. Don't miss out on this opportunity to elevate your decor game - click now and explore the best vendors for all your home decoration needs.
Shop the finest home decor brands on Amazon and transform your space into a stylish and elegant haven. Choose from a curated selection of top-quality products that effortlessly elevate your home's ambiance. From trendy accents to timeless classics, find the perfect pieces to create a space that truly reflects your personal style. Elevate your home decor game with the best brands, all conveniently available on Amazon.
Discover a treasure trove of exquisite home decor on Etsy! From stunning wall art to unique accents, experience the finest pieces that are guaranteed to elevate your living space. Unveiling Etsy's best-selling home decor, this collection will inspire you to create a truly stylish and personalized home. Explore now and transform your house into a flourishing haven of beauty and sophistication.