Make Your Own Dishwasher-Safe Painted Mugs with a Sharpie!
Sharpie-painted Coffee Mugs as Presents Hi friends Thanks for visiting our "How to Make a DIY Sharpie Mug That Won't Wash Away" page! ” post This afternoon, we'll be getting crafty with mugs. Can you count the number of times you've seen those "DIY" mugs on Pinterest that someone has
Sharpie-painted Coffee Mugs as Presents
Hi friends Thanks for visiting our "How to Make a DIY Sharpie Mug That Won't Wash Away" page! ” post This afternoon, we'll be getting crafty with mugs.
Can you count the number of times you've seen those "DIY" mugs on Pinterest that someone has painted with a Sharpie? A practice wherein participants use ordinary Sharpie markers to decorate inexpensive ceramic souvenirs purchased at dollar stores. It's a hot ticket item for the holidays, and for good reason.
Most of these coffee mug how-tos simply instruct you to use regular Sharpie markers to decorate your mugs before baking them. I can't think of a better way to get a unique present without breaking the bank.
In contrast, how many of you are aware that regular Sharpie marker artwork can be removed by running it through the dishwasher? Yup Unfortunately, unless you plan to carefully handwash your DIY coffee mugs, your artistic masterpieces will likely be washed away in the dishwasher, along with all that ink.
The pattern will probably fade with time and hand washing. It's a terrible idea that's swept the web.
Nonetheless, you shouldn't be concerned. After much investigation, I found a do-it-yourself solution involving a Sharpie and a mug that really works! Pens that use oil-based paint to the rescue
These OIL-BASED paint pens are also made by Sharpie and can be found at most art supply stores. A few months ago, I was browsing the paint section at Home Depot when I came across mine. They are more expensive than a standard Sharpie, but if you consider the benefits—namely, not having your work be wasted—they are likely worthwhile. Get yourself some nice pens and Dollar Tree mugs, and I'll show you how to make a cute monogram for them. Were this year's Christmas gifts truly exceptional?
Keep reading down below for information on whether or not your Sharpie is dishwasher safe.
In closing, I'd like to wish my crafting pals the best of luck. Don't be shy about posting photos of your finished DIY mugs on our Facebook page for us to ogle. #gluedtomycrafts
Popsicle Stick Hot Cocoa Cup RELATED POST
What You'll Need for Your Craft:
For your shopping convenience, this post incorporates Amazon affiliate links.
If you're having trouble tracking down the exact type of sticker I used in my post, consider purchasing a Cricut maker machine and chopping your own.
Ways to Decorate Your Cups with Paint:
- You can use letter scrapbook stickers to create a monogram. Personalized coffee or tea mugs are now easier than ever to obtain. The letter "G" represents our family name, so I did that.
- Make sure it's at the proper height, angle, etc. to lay as FLAT as possible on the cup The mug shouldn't have any raised edges.
- Make a series of dots around the scrapbook sticker. To get the paint going, just follow the instructions on the marker packaging. Get a feel for how much pressure to use by practicing on some cardboard first.
- Fill in the space around the sticker with a TON of dots once you're ready. Put in as much as possible so that no white space is visible.
- You can embellish your first set of dots with a second color, or even more, if you'd like. By the way, if you make a huge mistake in your design, you can simply use some rubbing alcohol and a paper towel to remove everything.
- When the paint is dry, remove the scrapbook sticker to reveal the mug's final design.
- Use the paint pens for additional touch-ups, and if necessary, use a q-tip dampened with rubbing alcohol to remove any remaining stubborn spots.
- The baking process is up next. Turn on the fan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put your mugs on the rake and bake them for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- After 30 minutes, turn the oven off and leave the mugs inside to cool. Mine baked for a while because I forgot about it.
- After baking, take the dish out.
- Clear out the gunk, fill it up, and take a swig.
Popsicle Stick Camp Mug Associated Content
P S The following day, we put the mugs I had decorated with Sharpies in the dishwasher, and the drawings held up perfectly. YAY This is such a cute and easy project, and I can't wait to give some as Christmas gifts to my friends and family. Why, this would make a fantastic gift if you added some instant hot chocolate and a bow to the handle. A gift card to your favorite coffee shop is always a good idea. There is an abundance of options for customizing your own coffee mugs.
Send me an update on your progress with the painted mug. If you'd like to share the mugs you've decorated with a Sharpie, you can find us on Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag #mycustommug. I'm eager to get your feedback. #gluedtomycrafts
SEE ALSO THIS POST ON GLUED TO MY CRAFTS FOR ANOTHER GREAT GIFT IDEA FOR MEN: A Personalized Beer Mug!
- White mugs with no decorations
- Sticker Alphabet for Scrapbooks
- A set of letter scrapbook stickers is all you need to create a monogram. Put whatever initials or design you like on your coffee mug. A "G" for our surname was my contribution.
- Make sure it's at the proper height, angle, etc. flat as a pancake on the cup The mug shouldn't have any raised edges.
- After that, you should dot the area around the scrapbook sticker. To get the paint flowing, simply follow the instructions provided with the markers. Dot some cardboard in advance to gauge your pressure.
- Put a lot of dots in the space around the sticker once you're ready to do so. Make sure there is no empty space and fill in every nook and cranny.
- To the first set of dots, add another color, or more if you like. By the way, if you make a huge mistake in your design, you can simply use some rubbing alcohol and a paper towel to remove everything.
- When the paint on the mug is dry, you can remove the scrapbook sticker to reveal the finished design.
- Use the paint pens for additional touchups, and if necessary, dab a q-tip with rubbing alcohol to remove any stubborn stains.
- The baking process is up next. Have your oven preheated to 350 degrees and your working area well ventilated.
- Place the rake inside the oven and bake the mugs for 30 minutes.
- Then, after the 30 minutes are up, turn off the oven and leave the mugs inside to cool. My oven was on for several hours because I forgot about mine.
- After baking, take the dish out.
- Obviously, after a good washing, you should fill it with your preferred beverage and enjoy it.
PLEASE SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
More and more homes are built with open floor plans that combine the kitchen and living room, but this doesn't make decorating them any easier.
A sunroom is an enclosed outdoor space that brings the outdoors in while still providing the conveniences of a room inside. Whether you're relaxing with a good book or enjoying your morning coffee, this is the ideal spot for either. You can make your sunroom the most popular room in the house by
While it's true that you shouldn't evaluate a book by its cover, we believe it's often appropriate to do so with a house. Not to put undue stress on the foyer, but it is important that it convey the overall style and mood of your home. ) They're also some of the most exciting places
Balloons are a fun and inexpensive way to decorate for any occasion; the only limits are your imagination and your ability to tie a knot.