Make Your Own Dishwasher-Safe Hand-Painted Mugs with a Sharpie!
Gift-Wrapped, Hand-Painted Mugs Made With A Sharpie Hi friends Thank goodness you found our "How to Make a Do-It-Yourself Sharpie Mug That Won't Wash Away" page. ” post Today, you and I are going to make some fantastic mug crafts. Have you seen all the DIY mugs painted with a Sharpie
Gift-Wrapped, Hand-Painted Mugs Made With A Sharpie
Hi friends Thank goodness you found our "How to Make a Do-It-Yourself Sharpie Mug That Won't Wash Away" page! ” post Today, you and I are going to make some fantastic mug crafts.
Have you seen all the DIY mugs painted with a Sharpie that have been floating around Pinterest? Where people paint ceramic pieces from the dollar store with basic Sharpie markers. It's a hot ticket item for the holidays, and for good reason.
Most of these coffee mug how-tos simply instruct you to use regular Sharpie markers to decorate your mugs before baking them. It's a fantastic opportunity to acquire a unique present without breaking the bank.
The designs made with regular Sharpie markers can be removed in the dishwasher, but how many of you knew that? Yup Sorry to burst your bubble, but unless you plan on carefully handwashing those DIY coffee mugs, your artistic masterpieces will probably be lost in the wash.
There's a good chance that repeated hand washing will erase the pattern. It's a bad idea that has spread like wildfire across the web.
However, there is no need to fret. After much investigation, I found a do-it-yourself solution involving a Sharpie and a mug that really works! Save the day with oil-based paint pens!
The OIL-BASED paint pens are also manufactured by Sharpie and can be found at most art supply stores. A few months ago, I was browsing the paint section at Home Depot when I came across mine. They are more expensive than a regular Sharpie, but when you consider the alternative (essentially wasting your time on something that will eventually be thrown away), you might conclude that the extra money is well spent. Get some good pens and some cheap mugs from the Dollar Tree, and I'll show you how to personalize them in a cute way. Excellent Christmas presents, I hope
Now scroll down to see all the information about whether or not your Sharpie is dishwasher safe.
Best wishes to my fellow crafters! Don't be shy about posting pictures of your completed DIY mugs for us to see and enjoy on our Facebook page. #gluedtomycrafts
Popsicle Stick Hot Cocoa Cup RELATED POST
Required Materials for Crafting:
For your shopping convenience, this post incorporates Amazon affiliate links.
As an FYI, if you're having trouble tracking down a sticker like the one I used in my post, consider purchasing a Cricut maker machine and manually cutting your own.
Painting Coffee Cups: A Step-by-Step Guide.
- You can use letter scrapbook stickers to make a monogram. You can personalize your coffee mug with any initials or design you like. For our surname, I did a capital "G."
- Ensure that it is at the proper height, angle, etc. ..and as FLAT as you can get it on the mug The mug shouldn't be able to lift up at the edges.
- After that, dot the area around the scrapbook sticker. Start the paint by following the instructions on the marker packaging. Find out how much pressure to use by practicing on a piece of cardboard first.
- As soon as you're ready, begin covering the space around the sticker with a TON of dots. Be sure to include everything, leaving no blank spots.
- On top of your first set of dots, add a second (or more) color if you'd like. BTW - If your design goes awry, simply use some rubbing alcohol and a paper towel to remove everything.
- Once the paint is dry, carefully peel off the scrapbook sticker to reveal the mug's design.
- Use the paint pens for additional touchups, and if necessary, use a q-tip dampened with rubbing alcohol to remove any remaining stubborn spots.
- The baking process is up next. Prepare a well-ventilated space and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the rake inside the oven and bake the mugs for 30 minutes.
- When the thirty minutes are up, turn off the oven and leave the mugs inside to cool. I baked mine for a while.
- Take the finished product out of the oven.
- Fill it with your preferred drink after a quick rinse, and enjoy.
Popsicle Stick Travel Mug
P S The next day, we put the mugs I had decorated with Sharpies in the dishwasher, and the drawings held up perfectly. YAY I'm excited to make some unique Christmas presents for friends using this simple DIY mug idea. Can you imagine this with some instant hot chocolate packets inside and a bow on the handle? A gift card to your favorite coffee shop is always a good idea. There is a plethora of options for customizing your own coffee mugs.
Please keep me updated on your progress with the painted mug. Find us on Facebook or tag us in an Instagram photo of your custom-painted mug made with a Sharpie. I'm eagerly awaiting your feedback. #gluedtomycrafts
SEE ALSO THIS POST ON GLUED TO MY CRAFT: A Quick and Easy Present for the Man in Your Life Using a Beer Mug
- White mugs, plain and simple
- Adhesive Letter Stickers for Scrapbooks
- You'll need some letter stickers if you want to make a monogram. Just choose a monogram or design and put it on your mug. To represent our surname, I drew a capital "G."
- To get the best results, you'll want to position it properly. , and as FLAT as you can get it on the cup The mug shouldn't have any raised edges.
- Next, dot the area completely around the scrapbook sticker. To get the paint flowing, just follow the instructions on the marker box. The best way to gauge your pressure when drawing dots is to practice on a piece of cardboard first.
- When you're ready, start dotting the area around the sticker heavily. Put in as much as possible so that no white space is visible.
- Fill in the spaces between the initial dots with a second color, or more if you like. By the way, if you make a huge mistake in your design, you can simply use some rubbing alcohol and a paper towel to remove everything.
- When the paint on the mug is dry, you can remove the scrapbook sticker to reveal the finished design.
- Continue making minor adjustments with the paint pens, and if necessary, use a q-tip dampened with rubbing alcohol to address any stubborn stains.
- Baking is the next process. Turn on the fan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Placing your mugs on the rake inside the oven and baking them for 30 minutes.
- After thirty minutes, turn the oven off and leave the mugs inside to cool. My oven was on for several hours because I forgot about mine.
- After baking, take the dish out.
- Scrub and then, of course, fill and enjoy with your preferred drink.
START RECEIVING OUR NEWSLETTER:
I've said it before, but I really struggle with interior design. Yes, I am aware that I maintain a home decor blog. There are times when the infinite potential of a room paralyzes me; I don't know what to do first, and I'm paralyzed by the freedom that affords me. Eeeek Pressure When this
Larger-than-average living rooms can be great for entertaining, but not without their own set of challenges.
Vases are an elegant accent that can be used to decorate any room. Vases are a great way to add a decorative touch to any space, whether they are holding flowers or not. There is a wide variety of vessels that can be used as vases to display flowers, from miniature bud vases and traditional
Created by Erin Williamson Interior designer Erin Williamson says she enjoys incorporating wall-mounted TVs into the rest of the room by surrounding them with art so that the TV becomes a part of a larger gallery wall. A credenza, console table, or shelf placed beneath a